Friday, August 30, 2013

UC Davis Tip #1

Alright, I've decided this needs to go up because I want my fellow Aggies to stop doing stupid stuff, but first, why am I qualified to write tips?
Because, my fellow UCD or other college student, I have made plenty of mistakes (sometimes repeatedly). I have some first hand experience here, 'kay?

Gabbi's Tip #1:
Dear Freshmen and Transfer Students, or even just people in need of furniture in Davis,
If you are seriously in need to save money (because the struggle is real, right?) and you also really need a freaking dining table, there are some special times where you can get some nice furniture for real cheap.

This magical time is when people get kicked out of their apartments/houses/etc.

This is an especially magical time if you happen to know some seniors who are graduating, because they are usually gettin' rid of everything. However if you were too intimated as a freshman (like I was) to be down with the seniors taking your swipes to make some older friends, don't worry!

There are a few groups on Facebook that will help you find people willing to sell their furniture for real cheap or even for free!

Try looking for the awesome Facebook group "Free & For Sale" if this link doesn't work: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/418689691489871/?bookmark_t=group

If you don't have a Facebook page or just don't want to search online for stuff, there is always the art of dumpster diving! It's not as gross as it sounds (usually) and I don't actually recommend it that much (because it's been sitting next to a dumpster...) but there is a TON of stuff that people moving out of their apartments leave. Usually it's in pretty good condition!

So, if you really just don't have the money to spare for some expensive furniture, try these two options! 

You can always also try going to the many thrift shops in Davis, using coupons at stores to buy your furniture, or really just asking around your friends and family for stuff they may not want anymore.

Personally, I didn't need to buy much furniture when I moved into my first apartment because my family had a lot of extra furniture. However, I did buy a $200 mediocre bed from IKEA when I probably could've gotten an even nicer bed on the "Free & For Sale" FB group for around $50. It's just up to you.

Always,

Gabbi

No comments: